And these are by far one of the favourite recipes of mini me… gluten-free lemon cookies. As I try to vary the cereals that are part of our diet, you will always find gluten-free flour in our cupboard. And these cookies came to life exactly on a moment of mini me weekend boredom. I ended up challenging her to bake but using only whatever ingredients we had at home. Result? These lovely, melt in your mouth, lemon gluten-free cookies!
And it couldn’t be easier!
- zest of a lemon
- juice of a lemon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Zest and and juice a lemon.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir well and add the flour, baking powder and salt. If the only salt at home is coarse sea salt (as it was our case) don’t forget to grind it first.
- Stir until the dough forms. An important fact when baking with gluten-free flour is that it behaves in a completely different way of standard wheat flour. In this case, the dough should be slightly dry and crumbly, but sticky enough to roll it into 1 inch balls.
- Place them in a baking tray (no need to line it) and then squeeze them with your fingers. The dough will break a bit in the edges which is normal.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15 minutes.
- And that’s it! Don’t let them cook until golden brown as that would make them rock-hard. Just be precise with the time in the oven.
And there you have it… deliciously lemony melt in your mouth gluten-free biscuits…