“And here she is… trying to invent the wheel again…” you must be thinking. And yes, I have also been disappointed quite a lot with miraculous replacements of my favourite (and not so healthy) food but I assure you… it really works! Really!
This is the most tastier butter-like replacement of butter you will must probably try… and with only four (non-dodgy) ingredients including water.
And it is gluten-free and dairy free!
It has been tested and approved by little ones and big ones so please give it a try.
- 2 tablespoons maize meal (you can buy it in healthy shops; it may be called corn meal in some shops but it is NOT corn flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (thick coconut milk from a can, not drinking coconut milk from a carton)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- parsley (to taste) (optional)
- yellow food colouring (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix them until the maize meal is completely dissolved. It is important to dissolve the corn meal while the mixture is cold to avoid lumps.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and mix all the time. It should thicken a little to a consistence similar to pancake batter. If you find it too liquid (the type of corn meal might make a difference) just add a bit more of corn meal and cook a few more minutes.
- Blend it for about 1-2 minutes (or until as smooth as possible).
- At this point you can just pour it into a container and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up. A second option is to add 1 or 2 drops of yellow food colouring to give it a buttery colour (and I’ve poured it into a butter container just for fun! )
My finally and favourite suggestion, for a mouth-watering twist, is to grate finely a clove of garlic and chop a bit of parsley (to taste) and mix it in with the butter… and there you have it…
Delicious and super-healthy garlic butter!
Either way, it will taste fabulous! Really!